Saturday, January 26, 2013

Litany Imitation

You are the rock and the strength,
the happiness and the giver.
You are the kindness
and the love.
You are the most helpful,
and the understanding.

However, you are not still,
 constantly on the go,
or thinking of something to do.
And you are certainly not carefree.
There is just no way that you are carefree.

It is possible that you are dependable,
maybe even most dependable,
but you are not even close
to being organized.

And a quick look in the mirror will show
that you are neither easy
nor difficult.

It might interest you to know,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
that I reflect you.

I also happen to be determined,
focused
and hardworking.

I am also the witty
and the emotional.
But don't worry, I'm not the rock and the strength.
You are still the rock  and the strength.
You will always be the rock and the strength,
not to mention the happiness and--somehow--the giver.
 
 
This is to my mom. She is always organizing events trying to help people in our valley who are less fortunate, on top of working a physical job. She definitely keeps me in my place. :)
 

5 comments:

  1. I love your post, you did a really great job using all those words to describe your mom and how you feel about her. She's very lucky to have you. You should definitely show this to her, I think she will really like it. Keep up the great work. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your poem was simply amazing i love the words that you picked to describe you mom it made me think of my relationship with my mom ! great poem !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing how, by virtue of repeating the initial statement (which includes words like rock, strength, happiness, and giver) again at the end, you sort of reinforce those qualities? Repetition is a key element in many poems. When you see something repeated, you know it's important. In terms of assignment, all I would point out is that you didn't use much in the way of figurative language. If you had to use comparison (simile or metaphor), what would happen? I bet there's an amazing poem hiding in all of the activities she does for those less fortunate (e.g. she is the meal in the belly, the home for those without, the blankets, the new shoes for child starting school, etc.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your poem, it realy shows how much you care about your mom. You can tell how much you appreciate your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this poem really says a lot about what you think of your mom and how you describe yourself as a reflection of her. nice poem.

    ReplyDelete